Sunday, 3 April 2011

Starter motor on car assessments

This blogs about my on car assessment of a starter motor in practical.

I went to practical and we were given our assessment. First it said to do a preliminary check, so I de-activated the ignition, then checked if battery was useable,  check if meter was in the right range and see if it was in neutral. All was good so I procced.

It was now time to check voltage under cranking. It gave me a reading of 12.4V which is 50% chargeso battery passed. Now checked the starter circuit for voltage drop. I put my positive probe on battery terminal of the positive and negative on the battery terminal of the solenoid which read 0.2vd, then battery terminal of solenoid to motor terminal of solenoid which read 0.2 and battery negative terminal to body of starter motor it read 0.2vd. If I had cranked the engine while doing these test my reading would have been different thats why it was higher than maximum allowed which is 0.5vd.

Then it was time to do a starter draw test. The specs for this test is 125Amps-175Amps. I got the clamp meter and clamped the lead running from the positive terminal of the battery to the battery terminal of the solenoid and it gave me reading of 150Amps. This had fallen within specs and passed.

The test was good but I forgot to crank the engine while doing voltage drop test of the battery to solenoid and therefore only got a 5/10. Wont forget again.

No comments:

Post a Comment